International

Spain opens war crimes investigation into Netanyahu over Israeli attack on aid ship

A Spanish court on Tuesday (July 8) local time opened a preliminary investigation into Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Foreign Minister Israel Katz and several senior military officials for war crimes and crimes against humanity. They are alleged to have played a role in the Israeli attack on an aid ship in Gaza last month. Spanish MEP Jaume Asens Xe said the investigation is focused on the Israeli raid on the MV Madeleine in international waters on June 1. The ship was carrying 12 international workers and humanitarian aid. Among those arrested were Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and Palestinian-French human rights activist Rima Hassan. Spanish citizen Sergio Toribio and the Committee for Solidarity with the Arab Cause filed the case under universal jurisdiction. They allege that Israeli forces illegally detained civilians using drones and tear gas, part of a series of human rights violations linked to the ongoing conflict in Gaza. The Spanish court has ordered the investigation into the attack in the context of genocide in Gaza, seeking cooperation with the International Criminal Court (ICC). This is the first formal investigation by Spain into the Israeli leadership over the Gaza war. “This is a major step in the fight against impunity. When states fail to fulfill their responsibilities, civil society must step up to ensure justice — it is a moral, legal and political tool,” Asens said. If the investigation proceeds, it could hinder Netanyahu and other Israeli officials from traveling to Europe, as they risk being issued arrest warrants. The Israeli government has not yet made any official response to the incident.